HUD TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
The Partnership Center provides a wide range of national technical assistance (TA) services focused on national Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) issues through a Cooperative Agreement with HUD. Key services include:
OPERATION OF THE HMIS NATIONAL DATA LAB
- In its role as the HMIS Data Lab, VESTA serves as the “test environment” for potential new features that HUD and its Federal Partners (Depts. of Health and Human Services, Education, and Veteran’s Administration) are interested in adding to HMIS requirements. Using VESTA as the Data Lab provides an opportunity to see the effects of proposed changes on data, in a real-world environment.
- The Data Lab is used to generate ad-hoc reports on select data for HUD policy makers.
- In its role as the National Data Lab, PCL participates in numerous HUD TA provider workgroups, including the Annual Progress Report, HMIS and Data, and Youth Homeless Demonstration.
- PCL is a frequent contributor of responses on HUD’s “Ask A Question” online forum, which allows providers, administrators, and vendors to receive timely answers to detailed questions on a variety of topics including: CoC administration, Consolidated Plan development/reporting, e-snaps reporting, ESG administration/reporting and other HMIS issues.
- HMIS Test Environment Certification
SAGE HMIS REPORTING REPOSITORY
- PCL developed and administers the Sage HMIS Reporting Repository which collects all data submitted by HUD grant recipients who receive CoC and/or ESG funding.
- PCL manages and responds to questions in the Sage Desk of HUD’s “Ask A Question”
HMIS SOFTWARE SUPPORT FOR VENDORS
- PCL facilitates a monthly conference call for all HMIS Vendors to encourage understanding of new and forthcoming HMIS requirements and foster discussion amongst vendors on common areas of interest.
- PCL manages the HMIS Vendor HUB, an online repository of key information to assist vendors in ensuring their HMIS implementations are in line with the most current rules and guidance from HUD and the Federal Partners.
- PCL routinely develops “dummy data” sets and results for HMIS vendors to use in testing to determine if their software is correctly generating HMIS required reports.
TOOLS AND REPORTS
- PCL assists HUD in standardizing HMIS by teaming to create the HMIS Data Dictionary used to program HMIS systems as well as HMIS Manuals for all HUD and federal partner programs using HMIS.
- In cooperation with many HMIS Vendors, PCL produced the HMIS Standard Reporting Terminology Glossary to set standardized programming foundations for HMIS reporting.
- PCL is the primary author of HMIS programming specifications released by HUD for the CoC and ESG programs including those for the Annual Performance Report, ESG CAPER Report, and System Performance Measures.